Have you checked out my previous post oh how persistence affects you in life when it comes to being successful? If you haven’t, click here.
Else, let’s see what follows.
I began this with a very important quote by Calvin Coolidge which summarizes the importance of being persistence:
“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not. Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not. Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not. The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent” by Calvin Coolidge.
In other words, Calvin Coolidge meant that:
Hard works beats talent every single time. He says, it doesn’t matter what your abilities are, what matters is how you perform. What you sow is what you reap.
Today, I want to focus on the very reasons why I think persistence is the most important quality one could have in order to be successful in life. Anyway, The Famous Nelson Mandela campaigned for 50 years including the 27 years in prison just to free his countrymen from the brutal rule of the colonists. Billy Gates, as one of the most determined people on earth. The first 11 years of developing the Microsoft OS is what made him an overnight success. He became a millionaire by cashing out with many companies, but he never stopped? He worked on his product to around 40 years without giving up. Talk of Abraham Lincoln down to Colonel Sanders, all these famous figures of varying background are fine examples that demonstrate the quality of being persistent. Taking Billy Gates as our finest example, it’s crystal clear that success is not an overnight event. It takes time to develop, which means, you will go through trials and errors along the way.
In this quote, Colin Powell says that, instead of giving up due to the mistakes you might have made, you need to learn from them and prove yourself. By doing so, you will be gaining quality knowledge and experience and the same time, you be working towards achieving your goals.
In most cases, people quit too soon in their business just because they were not immediately rewarded for their huge short-term efforts. To be sincere, they never failed, they were short – term thinkers and what they lacked was focus, a fruit of being persistent. That’s why I had to include Bill Bradley’s quote
What’s the importance of being ambitious (having a desire to achieve something) when you can’t be consistence with your actions and be persistent in operating at high levels? Most successful people work on their strategic plans and persist at them. That’s why I started by asking you:
Are you a swimmer or a sinker? A swimmer is that successful person who undertakes strategic actions and persist at them while a sinker is that “mediocre” person lacking the stamina and persistence to “swim” (see things through). And that leads us to Thomas Edison, the guy who is said to have tried more than 900 times to create a light bulb before he succeeded. Could that be reason why there exists this quote:
If I were asked to put more light on the above quote, then Thomas Edison is only reminding us that even when our efforts don’t seem to provide results, it doesn’t mean that we’ve failed or that we should give up. You get it? Well, maybe you should have this:
“Success is not built on success. Great success is built on failure, frustration, even catastrophe.” Sumner Redstone.
In simple terms, persistence means the attitude and personality trait of working hard and trying again and again until complete success is achieved. Just keep trying. If you fail, try again. If you fail again, try again. And as you keep trying in the right direction and at the right things, success will surely come.
Why should you have the trait of persistence?
- Persistence instills knowledge on then on the ability to adjust and adapt. The ability to keep trying makes you aware of your weakness and your faults. But how will you know your weaknesses and faults if you can’t accept failure? And why would you learn your weaknesses is you lack persistence? It’s the weaknesses and faults you identify that will lead you to a great decision. Persist and Resist. Persist in what must be done and resist what ought not to be done. By this, I don’t mean keep doing the same thing over and over again. Look at your previous unsuccessful efforts and using your own experience in the field of interest, decide on what to change, how to change it and why to change. This will enable you adapt any working environment. Try new approaches of doing what you were doing
- Persistence prepares you for obstacles and setbacks. If you have read any successful stories of the famous figures, you realize that they knew and accepted that there will be obstacles and setbacks and they prepared adequately for them. When the Kenyan soldiers go for a battle, they don’t put on their weapons in the field. They are always prepared for the battle, anywhere any time. Do you know why? They usually anticipate potential problems and they form a contingency plan.
- Persistence helps to know how to visualize what you want, through imagination.
- Through persistence, you will learn how to motivate yourself during difficult situations. It’s a motivating factor. When you keep trying over and over again, with every attempt you make, you will be moving closer to achieving your goals. Actually, the more attempts you make, the greater the motivation to keep you going. You will become self-motivated. You will put more efforts in your actions.
- Persistence builds your courage, makes you stronger and smarter. It will make you an expert. You may not be good at doing something when you first try it out, but you will get better at it when you keep trying one more time.
- If you are persistent you will learn how to set goals that are achievable and reasonable. But do you know that setting a reasonable and achievable goal is one of the ways of being persistent? I will soon write on how to be persistent.
Just keep trying. If you fail, try again. If you fail again, try again. And as you keep trying in the right direction and at the right things, success will surely come.
Was that awesome? Leave a comment.
Do you want to post on my blog? Click here.
There are so many reasons why you should be persistent. I will try to write more. Goodbye until the next post… ”Why people lack persistence.”